Thursday, August 22, 2013

albrecht family summer reunion, days 1-2

Scott drove Jed and I to BWI airport on Friday morning so that we could fly to Wisconsin for the Albrecht family reunion.  We were in more of a rush that morning than I ever like to be, and I seriously doubted that we would even make our flight!  But after much waiting in line and stressing, Jed and I boarded the airplane 8 minutes before the scheduled departure.  We missed Family Boarding, but since it was just the 2 of us and Jed can still sit in my lap for the flight, we had no trouble finding a place to sit.  Once we were on our way through security, Scott left to drive to NYC for the American Sociological Association conference, which he was presenting at that weekend.  Jed was absolutely perfect during the flight, and hardly made a single unhappy noise.  But even so, the woman sitting next to us was clearly unhappy about having a baby next to her.  When I asked if the middle seat was taken, she hesitantly replied, “No…but don’t you need 2 seats for you and that baby?”  After that, she never said anything explicitly rude – but every time I barely touched her arm, or asked to use the bathroom (which I specifically timed to follow the woman next to window, so that the aisle lady only had to get up 3 times for the two of us and not 4 times), she huffed audibly and looked rather annoyed.  She looked to be about 65 years old, but acted like she was 6.  Some people.

When we arrived at the Milwaukee airport, I discovered that our suitcase had made it onto the plane, despite the crazy-late check-in, but, sadly, Jed's car seat had not.  The woman at the lost baggage desk said that it would probably come in on the next flight, about 3 hours later.  Since we were returning to Milwaukee the next day and would need to swing by the airport to add Don to the rental contract anyway, I opted not to wait but borrow one from the airport and pick up Jed's the next day.  I was glad I did, because it didn't end up arriving until about 7 hours later, not 3!  We picked up Don and Carol from the Madison airport, and met everyone else at Quivy's fish fry for dinner.  Jed was very excited to run around on the grass while we waited to eat!



On Saturday, we made the drive to Milwaukee.  Leslie, Rachel, Sarah Ann, and Carol left early to attend the girls' Irish feis, and planned to catch up with everyone in the middle of the afternoon.  Don, Penelope, Jed and I left a little bit before the rest of the group so we could take care of the business at the airport, and met up them at Discovery World, an interactive science museum.  Everyone had an adventure getting there, as there was a triathlon going on that day RIGHT next to the museum, so most of the roads leading to it were blocked off.  Jed only lasted for a little while in the museum; he was SO tired he screamed most of the time.  So I took him outside, gave him Pooh Bear and the rest of his lunch (which he didn't want to eat earlier, with all the distractions), and walked him around in the stroller.

From the museum, we drove north about 10 minutes to a place to rent paddleboats on Lake Juneau.  Jed seemed to enjoy himself at first, but then screamed and tried desperately to climb out of my arms and into the water (I'm not quite sure if he thought he wanted to get IN the water, or if he just wanted OUT of the boat).  I passed him across to Don in another paddleboat, and that seemed to satisfy him.


On the drive home, I figured Jed wouldn't fall asleep - it was too light outside.  PLUS, who wants to go to sleep when there are awesome cousins to play with?

The I'm-Going-To-Eat-This-Cracker-No-YOU'RE-Going-To-Eat-This-Cracker game is super fun, apparently.



When we arrived home, Jed was one tired little baby.  But I knew that on Sunday he'd have a chance to take a real nap and catch up on some much-needed sleep.  At least, so I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment