Friday, August 23, 2013

albrecht family summer reunion, days 3-4

As I said before, I *thought* that Jed was going to be able to catch up on his sleep on Sunday, since the only activity planned was church - and he should have been able to get his normal 2-hour nap afterward.  But he was so exhausted that he fell asleep about 20 minutes into church, on Don's shoulder (which he thoroughly enjoyed!).  He took a short, 30-minute nap in church, and decided that that was it for the day.  Alas for the best-laid plans!

At least Jed helped the baby dolls get a nap,
giving them his Pooh Bear to sleep with!

But we had fun playing around Leslie's house and hanging out.  On Monday morning everyone left for Devil's Lake State Park to go hiking, except Jed and I - I was determined to let him get a nap!!!  He took one, and after lunch we drove to Devil's Lake to meet them for some swimming.  Unfortunately, we ended up on the wrong beach, and walked around for a while trying to find them (I was getting no cell service in the park).  I eventually figured out where they must be, and we found them enjoying the sand and water - on the other side of the lake.  About 20 minutes after we arrived, a thunderstorm rolled in - so we all left.  So much for our day at the beach!

Wrapped up and warm!

Snuggled with Uncle Dave

Rachel and Amara got their turns to ride with Jed on the drive home that afternoon, and in the car we devised a plan to keep the kids entertained for the evening.  Scott was giving his presentation at the ASA conference the next day, so I suggested that the kids make a good luck poster so we could text him a picture of everyone holding it.  Courtesy of Rachel and Amara, this idea quickly turned into a 5-minute video, with 18 separate segments and music.  Rachel and Amara directed this masterpiece, and all of the kids participated - some more willingly than others.  I filmed and edited the final video, which took me well into the night to do - but it was totally worth it.  It was a creative work of genius that remains unparalleled in the Albrecht family to this very day.


No comments:

Post a Comment